Getting dental work done can be extremely expensive, especially major procedures like dental implants or cosmetic dentistry. That’s why dental grants can provide vital financial assistance to those who otherwise couldn’t afford necessary dental care. Michigan offers several options when it comes to grants for dental implants, cosmetic dentistry, and other major dental expenses. This guide will walk you through the top dental grant programs available for Michigan residents in 2023.
Types of Dental Procedures Covered by Grants in Michigan
There are a variety of dental grants in Michigan that can help cover costs for different types of major dental work:
Dental Implants – Dental implants involve surgically placing a metal post into the jawbone, which then acts as an artificial tooth root. These implants provide support for replacement teeth and dentures. The cost for a single dental implant can range from $1,000 to $3,000. Grants are available to help subsidize these expensive procedures.
Cosmetic Dentistry – Cosmetic dentistry includes procedures like teeth whitening, veneers, crowns, and reshaping to improve the appearance of teeth. Since cosmetic dentistry is usually considered elective, it’s often not covered by insurance. Grants provide financial assistance so people can access these transformative procedures.
Root Canals – Root canals treat infections deep inside the tooth. Without treatment, the infection can spread and cause severe pain and tooth loss. Root canals typically cost $300 to $2,000 per tooth depending on the location and condition. Grants help cover these vital procedures.
Dentures – Used to replace missing teeth, dentures can cost $1,000-$3,000 for a complete set. Grants are available to help low-income patients and seniors afford high-quality dentures.
Dental Bridges – Bridges bridge the gap created by one or more missing teeth. With a cost of $700-$1,500 per false tooth, bridges are out of reach for many. Grants provide funding so patients can restore their smiles.
Gum Disease Treatment – Gum disease can lead to receding gums, and tooth and bone loss. Non-surgical treatments typically cost $500-$1,000; surgical options are $1,000-$2,500. Grants help fund these treatments.
Braces – Correcting severe orthodontic issues can cost $3,000-$7,000. Grants make braces possible for low-income children and teens.
No matter what type of major dental work you need, there are likely grants available in Michigan to help cover the costs.
Top 5 Dental Grants in Michigan
Here are 5 great options for dental grants in Michigan:
- Dental Lifeline Network Michigan Donated Dental Services
The Dental Lifeline Network connects low-income and disabled individuals with volunteer dentists to receive free dental care. Special focus is given to seniors, veterans, and those suffering from disabilities or medical issues. A wide range of treatments are available, including cleanings, fillings, crowns, root canals, dentures, oral surgery, and more.
How to Apply: Go to the website and fill out an application form, or call 800-553-6376. Applicants must meet income eligibility guidelines and lack access to other options for dental coverage.
- Michigan Dental Association Foundation Dentists Giving Back Program
The MDA Foundation offers the Dentists Giving Back program, allowing low-income patients without dental insurance to receive care at a reduced rate. Patients can receive exams, x-rays, cleanings, fillings, extractions, and root canals at a 30-70% discounted rate. Cosmetic and high-cost procedures are not covered.
How to Apply: Call the patient coordinator at 517-346-9426 to find a participating dentist and schedule an appointment. You must provide income verification.
3. Bright Dream Smiles Dental Program
The Bright Dream Smiles program from Bright Side Dental provides free dental care to children whose families cannot afford treatment. Care includes exams, cleanings, fillings, crowns, and extractions. More complex treatments may be available on a case-by-case basis.
How to Apply: Call 855-744-0277 or fill out the online contact form to request an application. Families must meet income requirements.
- Healthy Kids Dental Michigan Medicaid
Healthy Kids Dental provides comprehensive dental benefits to children and teens under 21 who are enrolled in Michigan Medicaid. This program covers exams, cleanings, sealants, x-rays, fillings, fluoride treatments root canals, crowns, braces, and more with no copays or deductibles.
How to Apply: Children are automatically eligible when they are enrolled in Michigan Medicaid. Call 877-316-8784 for help finding a dentist.
- Care Credit Healthcare Credit Card
The Care Credit Healthcare credit card through GE Capital can be used to finance dental care with fixed monthly payments. You can apply for credit lines from $250 to $25,000. Care Credit can be used for a wide range of dental treatments.
How to Apply: Fill out the online application form on their website. Approval decisions are made instantly. Make sure your provider accepts Care Credit before applying.
Dental Grants for Seniors in Michigan
Seniors living on fixed incomes often struggle to pay for dental care. Thankfully, there are specific programs providing grants for seniors’ dental needs:
- Michigan Dental Association Foundation Senior Dental Program– Offers discounted dental care including cleanings, fillings, and dentures to low-income seniors. Call 517-346-9426.
- Michigan Office of Services to the Aging (OSA)– Administers funds through Area Agencies on Aging to provide dental care grants for low-income seniors. Call 800-654-3381.
- Medicaid Adult Benefits Waiver– Covers cleanings, exams, x-rays, and other basic care for seniors enrolled in Medicaid. Call 888-367-6557.
- Senior Dental Services of Michigan– Partners senior veterans with dentists who provide dental implants, dentures, and other treatments free of charge. Call 248-651-2420.
In addition to these programs, many of the other dental grants listed above also fully or partially cover seniors. Be sure to mention you are a senior when applying to maximize your grant eligibility.
Grants for Dental Implants in Michigan
Dental implants often top the list as one of the most expensive, yet beneficial dental treatments. Here are some ways Michigan residents can get grants for dental implants:
- Dental Lifeline Network Michigan– Provides free or heavily subsidized dental implants for those who qualify.
- Smile for a Lifetime Foundation– Partners with local dentists to provide free braces, implants, and orthodontic care for children. Apply on their website.
- Care Credit– Can finance up to $25,000 for dental implants for those approved for their credit card.
- University Dental Clinic Discounts– University dental schools offer dental implants at dramatically reduced rates. Visit the University of Michigan or the University of Detroit-Mercy.
- Dental Schools– Students and faculty at Michigan dental schools sometimes provide discounted or free dental implants on a case-by-case basis.
- Crowdfunding– Creating a crowdfunding campaign through GoFundMe or similar sites can raise money for dental implant costs.
Make sure to exhaust all possible options to find assistance with grants for your dental implants. The investment will pay off for years to come through restored oral health and an improved smile.
Grants for Braces and Orthodontic Care
Correcting severe orthodontic issues often calls for expensive braces or other treatments. Here are some top grants specifically covering braces and orthodontic care costs:
- Smile for a Lifetime Foundation– Covers full orthodontic treatment including braces for children under 18. Apply on their website.
- Bright Dream Smiles– Provides free braces and orthodontic treatment to qualified children up to age 14. Apply online.
- Healthy Kids Dental Michigan Medicaid– Medicaid covers braces and orthodontics for children with qualifying orthodontic scores.
- University Dental Clinic Discounts– University orthodontic departments offer braces and orthodontics at discounted rates.
- Care Credit– Can finance up to $25,000 for orthodontic treatment if approved for their healthcare credit card.
- Crowdfunding– Creating a “braces fundraiser” page through GoFundMe allows family and friends to contribute.
Using a combination of grants, discounted treatment, and financing can help cover the costs of braces and orthodontics to create a healthy, confident smile.
Grants for Dental Care for Veterans in Michigan
Veterans face many barriers to obtaining dental care. Thankfully, there are now more options than ever providing grants for veterans’ dental treatment:
- Dental Lifeline Network– Partners veteran patients with dentists donating their services. Call 800-553-6376.
- Veterans Affairs Dental Insurance Program (VADIP)– Provides affordable dental insurance to eligible veterans. Call 877-222-8387.
- Forgotten Man Ministries– Offers grants and free dental care for veterans in need. Call 810-620-3755.
- Senior Dental Services of Michigan– Gives free dental implants, dentures, and care to senior veterans. Call 248-651-2420.
- Honor Flight Network– Arranges free or discounted dental care for low-income veterans. Fill out a veteran application on their website.
Veterans have sacrificed so much, so making sure they can access grants for dental care is one small way we can give back and honor their service.
Free Dental Care Resources in Michigan
In addition to grants and reduced-cost programs, there are also clinics providing free dental services across Michigan:
- Free Dental Care- Offers a searchable database for upcoming free dental clinics and events in Michigan. Lists are updated regularly.
- Dentistry From the Heart- Hosts annual free dental care events open to the public at participating dental offices. Search for local participating dentists.
- Mission of Mercy- MDHA partners with dentists and sponsors to hold 1-2 day clinics offering free care to hundreds of patients. Check their schedule for upcoming dates.
- Dental School Care– the University of Michigan, University of Detroit Mercy, and other Michigan dental schools offer low-cost or free clinics where students provide care under faculty supervision.
Checking for pop-up-free dental events in your area can provide an additional way to receive cleanings, fillings, extractions, and basic care at no cost to you.
Tips for Finding Grants for Dental Care
- Check if you qualify for Medicaid – Medicaid and Healthy Michigan Plan provide dental benefits for children, seniors, pregnant women, and disabled individuals who meet income limits. If approved, you pay nothing for covered services.
- Search for local programs like those listed above, many only serve certain counties or regions. Check with your health department.
- Talk to clinics and explain your situation – they may be aware of grants or provide discounts.
- Search online for “dental grants + your city/county/state”, new options are added frequently.
- inquiry about payment plans– many dentists offer interest-free financing for 6 or 12 months.
- Explain it’s a hardship– dentists are people too – if they know you’re in pain and need help, they may provide discounts.
- Avoid dental credit cards– while an option, their high interest rates can make costs spiral quickly.
- Apply ASAP– programs often have months-long waitlists, so apply for grants in advance before extensive treatment is needed.
The key is being proactive and exploring every potential avenue when trying to secure dental care grants and assistance programs. With persistence and planning, you can likely find help to get your teeth fixed and smile confidently again.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dental Grants in Michigan
Can adults get grants for dental work in Michigan?
Yes, adults can qualify for dental grants and assistance programs in Michigan. Programs like Dental Lifeline Network and Care Credit finance treatments for patients of any age. Medicaid provides benefits for seniors and disabled individuals who meet income limits. Search thoroughly and apply broadly to maximize your chances of being approved.
What dental procedures are typically covered by grants in Michigan?
Common dental procedures covered by Michigan grants include:
- Root Canals
- Dental Implants
More complex, elective, or expensive treatments may only receive partial grant funding. Always check with providers to confirm which services grants will subsidize before beginning treatment.
Can undocumented immigrants get dental grants in Michigan?
Unfortunately, most government-funded dental grants require proof of US citizenship or permanent residency. However, some free or low-cost dental clinics offer care without requiring immigration status verification. Search for “free dental clinic undocumented immigrants” for options in your area. Limited grants may also be available through immigrant aid organizations.
Where can I find dental grants for kids with disabilities in Michigan?
Great options for dental grants for special needs and disabled children include:
- Healthy Kids Dental through Medicaid
- My Community Dental Centers
- Donated Dental Services through the Dental Lifeline Network
- University of Michigan Dentistry Services for Patients with Special Needs
Contact these programs directly to inquire about grant funding and eligibility guidelines for disabled and special needs children requiring dental treatment.
Do dental schools in Michigan offer low-cost care or take grants?
Yes! All major dental schools in Michigan including the University of Michigan and the University of Detroit Mercy offer reduced-fee dental clinics where students provide care under faculty supervision. Treatments are 30-70% less than private dentists. Some also work with organizations providing grants or take Medicaid for eligible students.
Applying for Dental Grants in Michigan – Conclusion
The prospect of paying for major dental work like implants, dentures, or orthodontics care can feel daunting and hopeless. But there are many great grants and assistance programs available for Michigan residents in 2023 if you take the time to thoroughly research all options and proactively apply.
From discounted care through dental schools and clinics to dental-specific grants and financing programs, there are ways to get the dental treatment you need even on a limited income and budget. Don’t suffer from tooth pain, infection, or embarrassment about the appearance of your smile – instead, take the first step to improve your oral health by exploring how dental grants can make it affordable.
With persistence and creativity, you can likely secure at least partial grant funding by tapping into the underutilized dental resources in your local community and statewide. Don’t wait to take advantage of these programs – apply for dental grants today so you can get your teeth fixed and smile confidently again!
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder of Quick Medico and also a professional Blogger, SEO Professional as well as Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy his free moment with family members and friends.