Dental Grants in Missouri: Oral health is an important part of overall health and well-being. However, many people face barriers to accessing dental care, such as a lack of dental insurance, high out-of-pocket costs, and shortages of dentists in rural areas.
To help address these access issues, Delta Dental of Missouri offers an annual Oral Health Grant Program that provides funding to organizations for programs, events, and initiatives that improve oral health in the state.
This article provides an overview of the Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant Program for 2023, including eligibility and application requirements, focus areas, funding amounts, evaluation criteria, and tips for creating a competitive proposal. We’ll also address some frequently asked questions about the program.
Overview of the Delta Dental Oral Health Grant Program
The Delta Dental of Missouri Foundation established the Oral Health Grant Program in 2009 with the mission to support efforts and organizations in Missouri that promote good oral health.
Some key facts about the grant program:
- Grant amounts: Up to $30,000 per organization
- Eligibility:501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations, government entities, and tribal organizations in Missouri
- Key dates: Online applications open mid-January 2023; proposals due mid-March 2023; funding decisions in June 2023
- Grant period year from July 2023 to June 2024
Through this competitive grant program, Delta Dental aims to fund innovative and impactful oral health projects across Missouri.
Grant Program Focus Areas
The Delta Dental Oral Health Grant Program focuses funding on four key areas:
Access to Care
Grants in this area focus on increasing access to dental care for underserved populations. This includes supporting free or low-cost dental clinics, mobile dental programs, dental care at safety net clinics, programs that recruit dentist volunteers, and workforce training programs.
Oral Health Education
Grants for oral health education aim to teach people of all ages about the importance of good oral hygiene and dental care. Funded programs may provide classroom education, workshops, social media campaigns, and other creative approaches to share oral health knowledge.
Oral Health Promotion
These grants support efforts to promote good oral health practices. Examples include implementing healthy school lunch policies, installing water bottle fillers, distributing oral health kits, and launching public awareness campaigns.
Research grants fund studies that contribute to the knowledge and evidence base around oral health needs and effective interventions.
Organizations that meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for a Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant:
- Located in Missouri
- Recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, government entity, or tribal organization
- The mission is aligned with improving oral health
In addition, preference is given to organizations that:
- Serve uninsured and underserved populations
- Increase diversity and equity in oral healthcare
- Demonstrate collaboration and community support
- Measure outcomes and results
Individuals and for-profit entities are not eligible for grant funding.
The Delta Dental Oral Health Grants provide funding up to $30,000 per organization. Most grants will range from $5,000 to $20,000.
Organizations can submit one grant application per calendar year.
Funding can cover direct program costs, administrative expenses, supplies and materials, and other legitimate costs. The grant cannot be used to substitute existing funding sources.
The Grant Review and Evaluation Process
The Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant Program is highly competitive. Applications are evaluated through a multi-step review process.
All applications are first screened to confirm eligibility – organizations must be Missouri-based nonprofits, public entities, or tribes. Any ineligible applicants will be disqualified.
The grant review committee scores each proposal using a formal evaluation rubric. Scoring criteria include:
- How well the proposal aligns with Delta Dental’s focus areas
- Strength of the program approach and activities
- Ability to achieve measurable outcomes
- Organizational capacity and expertise
- Budget and ability to secure matching funds
- Potential for long-term, sustainable impact
Grant Committee Review
After scoring, the top-ranking proposals will be discussed by the grant committee. They will consider which applications to recommend for approval based on factors like geographic diversity, populations served, innovation, and available budget.
The final grant recipients are approved by the Delta Dental Board of Directors each June. All applicants will be notified after board approval.
Tips for Writing Strong Dental Implant Grants in Missouri Proposal
Follow these tips when drafting your Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant application:
- Align with focus areas– Clearly state how your program fits within one or more of the four funding priority areas.
- Highlight significance– Include local data and make a compelling case for why your program is needed.
- Establish measurable goals– Set clear objectives and quantify the outcomes you aim to achieve.
- Describe activities– Explain the key initiatives, services, and resources your program will deliver.
- Identify partners– Show who you will collaborate with and how you will leverage partnerships.
- Share evaluation plan– Outline how you will track progress and measure results.
- Show sustainability potential– Discuss how the program could continue after grant funding ends.
- Demonstrate expertise– Highlight your experience and capacity to successfully manage the project.
- Include a reasonable budget– Make sure budget expenses align with the project plan.
- Obtain matching funds– Securing 1:1 matching funds will make your proposal more competitive.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Grant Program
Here are answers to some common questions about the Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant Program:
Who is eligible to apply?
Eligible applicants include 501(c)(3) nonprofits, government entities, and tribal organizations located in Missouri. Individuals and for-profit businesses cannot apply.
What kinds of programs and expenses does the grant fund?
Funded programs must align with one of Delta Dental’s focus areas. The grant covers direct program costs like supplies, staffing, training, and more. General operating support is not provided.
What is the grant application deadline?
The online grant application opens in mid-January and proposals are due by mid-March 2023. The exact dates are posted on the Delta Dental website.
What are the grant requirements?
Grantees must sign a terms and conditions agreement. Reporting requirements include a mid-year status update and a year-end impact report. Matching funds at a 1:1 ratio are encouraged but not required.
When are grant recipients announced?
All applicants are notified after final board approval in June 2023. This is typically 6-8 weeks after the proposal deadline.
How often can an organization apply?
You may submit one proposal per calendar year. New applicants are encouraged, even if prior proposals were declined.
How are proposals evaluated?
Applications are scored based on criteria like alignment with focus areas, strength of approach, measurable outcomes, expertise, budget, and potential sustainability.
Who can I contact with additional questions?
Contact Delta Dental at [email protected] or 573-635-3471 with any questions about the grant program or application process.
The Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant Program provides essential funding for programs and organizations that provide access to dental care, promote oral health education, deliver preventive services, and conduct research.
The competitive grant process awards up to $30,000 to 501(c)(3) nonprofits, government entities, and tribes pursuing innovative approaches to improve oral health in Missouri.
To apply for 2023 funding, familiarize yourself with Delta Dental’s focus areas and tips for creating a strong proposal. Applications open in January 2023, so start preparing now to submit a competitive grant request. Partnering with Delta Dental can significantly expand your capacity to advance oral health equity and access in local communities across Missouri.
FAQs About Dental Grants in Missouri
What are some dental grants available in Missouri?
Some key dental grants in Missouri include:
- Delta Dental of Missouri Oral Health Grant Program
- Missouri Foundation for Health Dental Grantee Program
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) grants
- Americorps State Dental grants
- Dental Lifeline Network Missouri Donated Dental Services
Are there grants to help pay for dental work in Missouri?
Yes, there are a few options to find grants to help cover dental treatment costs in Missouri:
- Apply for the Dental Lifeline Network Missouri Donated Dental Services program if you are disabled, elderly, or medically fragile. Dentists volunteer their services.
- Missouri Foundation for Health sometimes has funding opportunities for dental services costs through their grant programs.
- Ask your dentist if they offer sliding-scale fees or know of any low-cost dental grants.
- Inquire with United Way 2-1-1 about local dental assistance funds if you are in crisis.
- Check with the Missouri Department of Social Services for dental assistance programs if you meet income eligibility.
Where can I find grants for dental implants in Missouri?
Unfortunately there are very limited grant options specifically for dental implants in Missouri. Here are a few possibilities to explore:
- Ask your dentist – sometimes implant manufacturers like Zimmer Biomet Dental offer implant cost assistance grants that your dentist may be able to help you apply for.
- Contact major hospital systems – some hospitals administer charitable care programs that can include dental implant funding help for qualifying applicants.
- Search crowdfunding sites like GoFundMe – you may find some dental implant campaigns to support.
- Reach out to organizations like the HealthWell Foundation that provide medical grant funding assistance for major expenses like dental implants for underinsured individuals.
Are there any government grants for dental work?
There are a few government programs that may offer some dental benefits or grants if eligibility requirements are met:
- Medicaid– Provides dental coverage for children and limited benefits for adults based on income.
- CHIP– Children’s Health Insurance Program gives dental benefits to qualified children.
- Medicare– Only covers very limited dental like certain oral surgeries.
- VA Dental Insurance Program– For eligible veterans. May cover some to full dental costs.
- HRSA Grants– The Health Resources and Services Administration provides some grants to organizations that offer free or reduced dental care.
So government dental grants are very targeted and limited, but some programs do help offset costs for those with financial need.
What nonprofits help provide dental grants?
These national nonprofits offer various types of dental grants, assistance, and resources:
- Dental Lifeline Network– Provides free dental care through volunteer dentists
- Medical Bridges– Helps uninsured adults get free or discounted dental services
- Heartland Dental Care Foundation– Funds vouchers for dental care and clinic grants
- America’s ToothFairy– Helps fund pediatric dental care programs
- DentaQuest Foundation– Supports oral health organizations through grants
- NDA Foundation– Offers grants and scholarships for dental education
Check the websites of these and other nonprofits for current dental grant opportunities and eligibility requirements.
This article is for informational and educational purposes only. For guidance on official grant program rules and processes, visit the Delta Dental of Missouri website or contact them directly.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder of Quick Medico and also a professional Blogger, SEO Professional as well as Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy his free moment with family members and friends.